Providence Hospital achieves recognition from HIMSS for its adoption of EMR and advanced information technology systems, demonstrating significant commitment to remaining on the cutting edge of medical technology.
Washington, D.C. (February 10, 2017) – Providence Health System, a member of Ascension, the nation’s largest Catholic and not-for-profit health system, announced today that it has achieved HIMSS Analytics Stage 6 for its Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Adoption ModelSM (EMRAM).
As of January 2017, only 31 percent of the more than 5,400 U.S. hospitals tracked by HIMSS Analytics had reached Stage 6 on its adoption of EMR. Providence is one of 1,678 hospitals that have achieved Stage 6 nationwide.
“We are excited about the rapid progress being made in advancing medical technology and patient services at Providence Health System,” said Alan Wyman, Chief Information Officer, DC/Baltimore Market, Ascension Health Information Services. “One of our goals in Ascension is for our hospitals to fully utilize Electronic Medical Records (EMR) and other tools to improve communication and collaboration between our network of health services, our community physicians, and the patients and families we serve.”
In achieving Stage 6 Providence has:
- Achieved an advantage over competitors for patient safety, clinician support, clinician recruitment, and competitive marketing for both consumers and nurse recruitment.
- Implemented fully automated/paperless medical records with IT applications across most of the inpatient care settings.
- Continued data analysis for care delivery process improvements, with documentation of significant improvements in this area.
- Recognized the strategic value of improving patient care with the EMR.
- Begun strategic alignments with their medical staff to effectively utilize information technology to improve the patient safety environment.
- Strategized on ways to provide data to key stakeholders, such as payers, the government, physicians, consumers, and employers, to support electronic health record environments and health information exchanges.
Stage 6 hospitals also have achieved a significant advancement in their IT capabilities that positions them to successfully address many of the current industry transformations in healthcare. Providence Health System and Ascension are dedicated to remaining on the cutting edge of medical technology, to improve patient care and healthcare communication.